Saturday, May 16, 2009

What's Wrong with this Picture?

Sometimes something just strikes you funny.

My beverage of choice these days is a fine pour of a Guiness draft. When that's not available, I return to my old standby, Heineken.



This afternoon I was seated at the bar of an upscale Irish Pub, the kind that has a multitude of fine imported beers on draft. (Or as we used to call it in New Yawk, "on tap")

I recall years ago having a discussion with a bar manager over the price of one of his beers. There was a big chalk sign behind the bar which read, "All Domestic Drafts, $2.00." I was then of course shocked when the bartender charged me $4.50 for a Killian's Irish Red. I engaged the bar manager, who plainly stated that Killian's was a premium import. For some reason I failed to convince him that Golden, Colorado was located within the bounds of the United States, and was thus not an "import." Ultimately, the sign was changed to read, "All Domestic Drafts, $2.00 (except Killian's)."

So today, I was enjoying a fine pint of Guiness when three tourists sauntered up to the bar to sample the wares. They looked at the pipes (the industry term for the beers available on draft) and nothing seemed to meet their needs. Finally, the bartender said this, and I quote:

"We also have many domestic beers in bottles, we have Corona, Corona Light, Heineken, Heineken Light and many others."

I smiled, said nothing, and finished my drink. Sometimes life is just funny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You mean Killian's IrishRed is not being made by leprechauns out behind the peat bogs?? Say it ain't so!