Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Someone needs to send Classmates a Telegram



The last time I sent a telegram I phoned Western Union. I dictated my message to them over the phone, which they then read back to me. They promptly delivered my message -- by calling the recipient on the phone and reading it to him. They then sent a paper copy via U.S. Mail. Um, not really the effect I wanted, but I realized the telegram as a form of communication was dead. Western Union finally discontinued this service in 2006.

Every couple of weeks or so I get an email from Classmates.com informing me that someone has viewed my profile, left me a greeting or some such, and I should "find out who!" Of course, should I log in to my Classmates account to actually find out who -- I am invited to become a paid "Gold Member" which will allow me to send messages and directly contact other members.

Wow! Really? I can actually *pay* Classmates to contact old friends and share my story with them?

Hey Classmates!! Are you also thinking of opening up a mall-based travel agency to book my plane flight too?

Have you guys never heard of Facebook? I don't need to pay you money to send messages and share stories with my old friends. I do it every damned day on Facebook.

At one time, Classmates.com was one of the biggest advertisers on the .net. It seemed like every page I went to had a classmates banner ad -- "She -- Married him?"



Ten years ago maybe more, I was a periodic gold member at Classmates. The little trick I used to use was that I would only become a paid member for one month, about every year or two. That way, I could contact any friends I had found, send them all my email address, then cancel the account and maintain contact with my friends afterwards. I did this about three times until I had basically contacted everyone who was there whom I wanted to contact.


Ten years ago, their business model made sense. Today? Are you people nucking futs? Why would I pay you to find the exact same people I can find on facebook? Now, it's not like Classmates doesn't have a lot of "business partners" who post banner ads on every damned page. You're making money with each page hit. So here's an idea, why not come in to *this* century and encourage more people to visit those pages. Hmmmmm, I know!! How about making the whole damned thing free??!!!

I guess the Classmates people still book their vacation at the mall travel agency. They need to revise their business model. I think I'll send them my ideas by telegram.

No comments: